Saturday, December 18, 2010

the one with the banksy film and the french guy...



Art is all around us. We see it everywhere but mostly, in recent years. we see it in the streets, accesible for the whole world to appreciate. I've noticed street art, but never went deep into it, never quite cared for it, until today that is.

I just came back from an art gallery with two good friends, Luchicha and Juanduh. After getting lost in an uncertain area of the city, we finally got to that art gallery for a very special occasion, a screening of Banksy's "Exit Through the Gift Shop" film. I'm seriously lost for words about this one. It's one hell of a documentary and it has many layers to it, since it's not all about street art and its main figures (Space Invaders, Shepard Fairey and Banksy himself) but also about a man that started from scratch and became bigger than his mentors, Thierry Guetta aka Mr. Brainwash. It took me minutes (90 to be exact) to realize that his work is indeed popular and quite iconic, after all Madonna commanded him to do the cover for the "Celebration" CD.

I really loved this documentary and also the song that goes along with it, just brilliant I say. It made my whole pre-xmas week. By the way, if I don't catch you all by then, merry xmas and a happy new year to all :)

No comments: