Wednesday, April 13, 2011

childhood and sister sledge



"tired of movies all by myself, I'm sure you folks know what I mean..."

Before moving to the chaotic city of Caracas, where I've been living for the past 11 years, I'd always stay at my grandma's house for some days off with my mother-side of my family. As young as I was back then, my curiousity for all things music was present and would manifest itself by checking out old record collections of my cousins, who were considerably older than me. When my sister and her friends had "Los Merenguitos" and "Chamocropolis" as musical references, I had Donna Summer's "I Remember Yesterday" and, most definitely, Sister Sledge's 1980 disc "Love Somebody Today". I rescued both of these LP's from the dusty shelves and saved them for my own, placing Sister Sledge as one of my all time favorite albums (which is far better than "We are Family" to begin with). I don't really know how to express this, but I've had a special connection with this record, from the stylish cover and the even more stylish R&B/Disco production (courtesy of Chic, of course). It always takes me back to my growing-up experience, and it's nice to revisit it from time to time.

MP3: Sister Sledge - Got To Love Somebody

1 comment:

Maddie said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about a broken link on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

Thanks!

Madison
maddie0147@gmail.com